Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Transformed Photos: More Than Meets The Eye


I chose to evaluate the above photo of Clement Hurd, the illustrator of the beloved children's book Goodnight Moon. When the book was originally published in 1947, Hurd had a cigarette in his raised right hand, the photo was edited when the publishing company, HarperCollins, republished the book in 2005. Their reasoning for such alteration was for the harmful influence it could have on young children to see an adult in the children's book industry smoking, essentially to promote lung health. Though HarperCollins may have doctored the photo in more ways than one,
I don't see it as harmful or helpful, mostly because children don't generally look to the personal habits of children's book illustrators of the past for life lessons. Oh, and it makes him look like he's trying to impersonate Marlon Brando in The Godfather.

7 comments:

  1. I agree with you, that I don't see how this picture could be harmful for children. I can see how some parents may judge but I really don't think it makes that big of an impact.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for telling me Glen had your book...I think the man should have a cigarette to add to make him look tougher.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I chose Hurd's photograph as well, Goodnight Moon was one of my faves as a child. Though unharmful rather intimidating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree Moira! I never looked at the author's photo when I was little!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I understand why the compamy altered the image, but I agree with you Moira. I'm not sure many children are too interested in the author, especially age of children that Goodnight Moon caters to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Moira,
    I'm your biggest fan, I'll follow you until you love me. (Kinda like a papparazzi). This is my favorite Pictures That Lie entry by the way.
    Don't stop blogging till you get enough,
    Travis

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Goodnight Moon but I agree that when I was younger I wouldn't have paid attention to whether or not he had a cigarette.

    ReplyDelete